Fort Collins Audubon Society
Board of Directors Meeting
May 7, 2009
ATTENDEES: Heman Adams, Scott Cobble, Eric DeFonso, Ruth Grant, Ron
Lynne Hull, Joel Hurmence, Kathleen Kilkelly, Karl Krahnke, Jessie
Meschievitz, Bill Miller,
Liz Pruessner, Ashley Waddell, John Waddell.
OTHERS PRESENT: None.
CALL TO ORDER: President Karl Krahnke called the meeting to order at
INTRODUCTIONS: – All:
MINUTES – Review, revise, and approve – All:
The March and April 2009 minutes were approved.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS AND COMMITEES:
New for all: Please Bring Written Reports or Email Reports in Advance
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
Treasurer’s Report – Waddell:
1. Current bank checking account balance is $3,970.49.
2. Total balance is 17,654.00
3. Paid $932.00 for the insurance policy.
4. Received the Factual Data distribution from AoC.
5. Raised $84.60 from book sales at the Loveland program.
REPORTS OF COMMITTEES:
A. Membership – Tupper:
1. Shelagh is leaving the Board.
B. Finance – Adams:
1. No discussion.
C. Education – Thomas
1. No discussion.
D. Conservation – Miller:
1. Ron mentioned that at least 20 conservation issues passed in a very
2. Neighbors of the Maxwell Ranch Windfarm project state that it is not
within the scope
of the original donor intent.
E. Field Trips – DeFonso:
1. The focus of Eric’s field trip last weekend was migrants. They saw a
Gray Warbler. There was good participation for the field trip.
F. Newsletter – Martin:
1. There will be a June newsletter.
2. Ron suggested adding a box to the newsletter showing how to include
FCAS in a will.
G. Programs – Meschievitz:
1. The April 23rd Loveland program went well.
2. The Boulder Audubon Club wants to have a joint meeting with FCAS.
3. May 14th, Randy Moench, Manager of Colorado State Forest Service.
4. June 25th, photographer and author, Paul Bannick.
5. Sept. 10th, Sarah Bexell – FWS – Black-footed Ferrets.
6. Oct. 8th, Connie Kogler – “Birder of the Year” trip to Costa Rica
A. Garden Tour – Hull:
1. All the gardens are lined up.
2. Jessie and Lynne are working on a press release.
3. The working committee includes: Ruth Grant, Lynne Hull, Jessie
Kathleen Kilkelly, Ashley Waddell, Joann Thomas, and Liz Prussner. Rich
is in charge of equipment collection and distribution.
4. Volunteers are needed.
B. Birdathon – Kogler:
1. Look for updates from Connie.
C. Board Development Retreat:
1. Will be held August 15th. Ruth will send Art Bavoso the date.
D. Logo and Tablecloth:
1. FCAS has a logo.
E. Leadership Positions:
1. United Way of Larimer County – Dial 211.
2. Board Bank – Training people to serve on boards. FCAS would get on
1. Have Shelagh and Joe provide a summary of what their roles are.
2. Open issue – consider outsourcing the newsletter.
3. Scott to send Karl copies of past recognition notices.
4. The ELC arrangement is complete.
5. Have received two teacher applications for scholarships.
6. January 4th 2010 - Colorado Mountain Club has requested for someone
to speak about
unusual birds in the Fort Collins area.
A. Volunteer Suggestions – Ashley:
1. Recruiting volunteers online. Ashley created an online presence for
2. Include an “I can volunteer” check box on the Ptarmigan.
3. Ashley created a g-mail account for the volunteer effort.
B. Fort Collins Audubon Bird Club – Eric:
1. Under the umbrella of FCAS.
2. Regular events and get togethers.
3 Perhaps have a Board chair involved.
C. Funding Opportunities – Lynne:
1. Lynne believes FCAS has a too narrow of funding focus.
2. Build Bird gardens.
3. Fund a project for Idea Wild.
1. Ron Harden indicated the Alaska Coalition authorized signing onto a
letter to Senators
to oppose Senate Bill 503. That bill would allow directive drilling from
into ANWR. The Board approved unanimously.
2. Bill and John noticed Prairie Dogs being gassed at Fossil Creek.
3. Bill suggested we become involved in the Fort Collin’s decision
The meeting adjourned at 9:20 P.M.
Submitted by Scott Cobble