Fort Collins Audubon Society
Board of Directors Meeting
July 7, 2010
Scott Cobble, Eric DeFonso, Ron Harden, Joel Hurmence, Bill Miller,
Liz Pruessner, John Waddell.
CALL TO ORDER:
Vice-President Bill Miller called the meeting to order at 7:05 P.M.
INTRODUCTIONS: – All:
MINUTES – Review, revise, and approve – All:
AGENDA REVIEW – All:
ANNOUNCEMENTS: – All:
REPORTS OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES:
REPORTS OF OFFICERS:
Treasurer’s Report – Waddell:
1. The checking account balance on June 30th, 2010 was $1,785.06.
2. The total balance was $9,355.42.
3. June 2010 expenses included:
a. $50.00 to National Audubon Society for two National memberships.
b. $15.90 to Qwest for phone service - May 16th to June 15th.
c. $96.00 to the Postal Service for annual post office box rental fee.
4. June 2010 receipts included:
a. $2.00 cash for two checklists.
b. $53.22 for nine pocket guides.
c. $95.00 for four memberships, two NAS and two FCAS.
d. $624.15 in donations for Birdathon 2010.
e. $0.05 from Wells Fargo for Interest on the checking account.
5. Next CD maturation is September 11th, 2010 for $5,326.34.
6. FCAS Income Tax Return was filed electronically on March 27th, 2010.
7. FCAS has yet to receive the Kroll-Factual Data check. Bill will check
REPORTS OF COMMITTEES:
A. Membership – Pruessner:
B. Finance – Adams:
C. Education – Thomas
D. Conservation – Miller:
E. Field Trips – DeFonso:
1. Six people participated in Eric DeFonso’s Sparrow field trip and saw
species and heard two others.
2. One of the highlights of Bill Miller’s Pawnee Grassland field trip
Ferruginous Hawk chicks.
F. Newsletter – Jones:
G. Programs – Meschievitz:
1. Thursday, September 9th: David Leatherman, Dragonflies and
2. Thursday, October 14th: Jon “Hawk” Stravers, the Driftless Area
National Audubon’s Mississippi River Initiative, will do a presentation
including his expertise, the Red-Shouldered Hawk.
H. Volunteers – Miller, Thomas:
A. Direct Appeal Letter – Assign Responsibilities – Miller:
1. Draft Appeal Letter – Miller:
a. Bill went over this to refresh memories.
2. Accomplishment Card:
a. Collect Volunteer Times and Miles – All, Cobble
i. Bill passed around copies of a sheet Scott generated showing some of
that was requested.
b. Create 1st draft of Accomplishment Card – Thomas
i. No discussion.
3. Design Donation Card – Pruessner
a. Liz presented a couple versions of possible donation cards.
b. Donation values
i. Begin at $15.00.
ii. Use the following values: $15.00, $25.00, $50.00, $100.00, and
c. Include a statement about supporting FCAS’s mission.
d. Additional information.
ii. Mailing address
iii. Email address
iv. Opt out of future donation option.
e. The return envelope should not be as tall or as wide as a business
a. Perhaps trips to find specific species.
5. Identify donors for matching monies – Miller, others
a. Challenge grant amount?
6. “Prime the Pump” article in September – Miller
a. Include review of dues sharing.
b. Explain that newsletter expenses are increasing.
c. Include explanation of the benefits of FCAS’ support of the state
B. Nominating Committee – Miller:
1. Need Directors, Field Trip Coordinator, Public Relations, Volunteer
2. Joann Thomas has volunteered to serve on the Nominating Committee.
A. Birdathon – Miller:
1. Following the meetings of February thru May 2010, Bill solicited
pledges at $6.00
per species. Bill also solicited $1,127.00 in fixed amount donations.
2. Nick Komar’s group found 150 species, therefore $6.00 x 150 species =
3. The total amount pledged came to $2,027.00
4. To date Bill has received $1,107.50 and John has received $659.15 for
a total of
5. The amount that John received included some of the pledged amounts
that Bill had
knowledge of as well as other amounts. Some donors contributed more then
they pledged. Also, some team members have yet to submit their pledges.
B. Mongolian Horse Adoption – Follow-up – Miller:
1. Bill suggested that $40.00 of the $252.38 donated be given to the
annual Friends of
Hustai membership payment.
2. FCAS adopted two foals whose names are pending.
3. Northern Colorado Dressage Association adopted one foal.
C. Need Reprints – Harden, Miller:
1. Membership Brochure: no discussion.
2. Birds of Larimer County, Colorado: Joel will update.
D. Canoe Trip – Thomas:
1. Four Audubon members have signed up for the canoe trip.
2. FCAS should start publishing future canoe trips from the beginning of
A. Newsletter – Need to Delete NAS Membership – All:
B. Ptarmigan Editorial Committee – All:
C. Fund-raising Opportunities – Thomas, Miller, DeFonso:
D. Website Needs to be Updated – Hurmence:
E. Feral Cat Issue – Harden:
1. Ron moved to adopt a feral cat policy statement. Liz seconded the
motion. The motion
2. Ron read a simplified feral cat policy statement. Liz moved to adopt
the statement as
read by Ron. Eric seconded the motion. During discussion, Ron said the
would give FCAS an established policy with which to respond to a push by
entities to adopt Trap, Neuter, and Release. Ron indicated the statement
was in line with
NAS and other conservation organizations. John asked that references to
studies be used. Liz offered a friendly amendment that discussion of the
tabled pending adoption by the full Board.
F. Audubon Colorado Public Policy Committee – Legislative Issues –
G. Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area Adoption – Miller:
1. Joel suggested that FCAS mention to people that participating in the
clean-up is an
opportunity to get off the trail.
H. Retreat Follow-up – All:
1. Liz asked when items for the September Ptarmigan need to be in, to
which Bill replied,
2. Scott asked if FCAS should use space in the Ptarmigan to recognize
indicated further thought would be given to the idea.
The meeting adjourned at 8:40 P.M.