Back Up Next

Fort Collins Audubon Society
Board of Directors Meeting

September 1, 2010

Heman Adams, Scott Cobble, Eric DeFonso, Ron Harden, Karl Krahnke, Jessie Meschievitz,
Bill Miller, Louise Parker, Joann Thomas, John Waddell.


Vice-President Bill Miller called the meeting to order at 7:02 P.M.


MINUTES – Review, revise, and approve – All:
Bill indicated that instances of HPEC were misspelled as HEPC on page three of the June 2010
meeting minutes. Scott will amend the June 2010 minutes and resubmit them to the Board. The
June 2010 meeting minutes were accepted as amended. The July 2010 and August 2010
minutes were accepted as written.





Treasurer’s Report – Waddell:
1. The checking account balance on August 31st, 2010 was $5,181.96.
2. The total balance was $12,752.32.
3. August 2010 expenses included:
a. $35.00 to NAS for one National membership.
b. $15.90 to Qwest for phone service - July 16th to August 15th .
4. July 2010 receipts included:
a. $71.40 for 12 pocket guides.
b. $35.00 for one NAS membership.
c. $254.50 from ten donations for Birdathon 2010.
d. $0.18 from Wells Fargo for interest on the checking account.
5. Next CD maturation is September 11th, 2010 for $5,326.34.
6. FCAS Income Tax Return was filed electronically on March 27th, 2010.
7. Birdathon 2010 status: $2,535.15.


A. Membership – Pruessner:
No discussion.

B. Finance – Adams:
Heman indicated FCAS could afford to roll over the maturing CD.

C. Education – Thomas
1. June 05/06: Urban Gardening Festival.
a. Heman, Ruth, John, and Aria Marcos helped Joann create the Exhibit.
b. An estimated 800 to 1,000 people attended that weekend.
2. Birding at Equalizer Pond with HPEC.
a. Jim Tolstrup, executive director of HPEC, six birders, and the HPEC intern,
joined Joann to observe Ospreys and performing Grebes.
3. The hummingbird program for the Aspen Club was well–received. More than 90
people attended.
4. The Audubon canoe trip with Centennial Canoes was cancelled due to lack of
5. Attendance at Equalizer Lake continues to be sporadic.
6. FCAS continues to support the NCBF. We will provide an item for the silent auction
and host a booth with an educational activity.
7. FCAS received a request to fund a trash can lid, at a cost of $400, for a natural area.
The Board, due to financial constraints, decided to reconsider at a later date.
8. Scheduled future events:
a. Sep 16th: Equalizer Pond for HPEC – 6:00 P.M.
b. Sep 25th: Northern Colorado Birding Fair.
c. Oct 21st: Backyard Birds – Livewires – Mountain View Presb. Church – Loveland.
d. Oct 28th: Equalizer Pond for HPEC – 8:00 A.M.
e. Nov 3rd: Backyard Birds – North Shore Health & Rehab – Loveland.
9. Scheduled NCBF meetings
a. 9:00 – 11:30 @ Fossil Creek.
b. 9:00 – 11:30 @ Fossil Creek.

D. Conservation – Miller:
No discussion.

E. Field Trips – DeFonso:
1. Eric will submit a report.
2. No new field trips to add at this time.

F. Newsletter – Jones:
1. A few people have made suggestions about the Ptarmigan.

G. Programs – Meschievitz:
1. Programs are confirmed through November.
2. Still looking for a place to have Dave Leatherman’s dinner.
3. Jessie will see to a $100.00 honorarium for Jon Stravers.
4. Karl saw to publicity.

H. Volunteers – Miller, Thomas:
No discussion.


A. Direct Appeal Letter – Assign Responsibilities – Miller:
1. Draft Appeal Letter – Miller:
a. Joann suggested funds be listed as percentages rather than dollar amounts.
b. Ron suggested the FCAS mission statement be included. He also suggested the
inclusion of a statement, without an explanation of why funding has decreased, of
why funds are needed. Ron also advised the elimination of excess words.
c. Carol Jones offered to edit the letter.
d. Jessie mentioned that volunteer hours and miles traveled might be useful when
applying for grants.
e. Board members will send suggestions and comments to Bill.
2. Accomplishment Card:
a. Collect Volunteer Times and Miles – All, Cobble:
i. Seven Board members have submitted their volunteer Times and Miles for Sep.
2009 through Aug 2010.
b. Create 1st draft of Accomplishment Card – Thomas:
No discussion.
3. Design Donation Card – Pruessner:
No discussion.
4. Incentives – Need Ideas – All:
a. The Board decided to not offer incentives this year.
5. Identify donors for matching monies – Miller, Others:
a. Joann suggested that FCAS not identify donors for this year but rather formulate a
plan for whom to approach next year.
6. “Prime the Pump” article in September – Miller:
a. Completed.

B. NAS Chapter Annual Report – Miller:
1. The annual report is now due on August 15th of the year.
2. Bill will begin to work on the report this weekend.

C. Representative to SWIG – Miller:
1. Bill indicated that almost two million people are behind the Save the Poudre effort.

D. NAS Rocky Mountain Regional Headquarters in Fort Collins – Miller:
1. AoC’s office will be located in Fort Collins. However, most of the staff will remain
in Denver.

E. Van for Raptor Research Foundation’s Annual Conference – Miller:
1. Eleven people have signed-up for the Sunday, September 26th, field trip.
2. Joann indicated she’d rented a van from Enterprise that would seat 12 people.
3. Ron moved that the Board authorize up to $250.00 for the rental of a van from
Enterprise and for associated expenses such as fuel. John seconded the motion. The
resulting vote on the motion was as follows: Nine members voting for the motion with
one member, Heman, voting against. The motion passed.

F. Set Date for Fort Collins and Loveland Christmas Bird Counts – Miller:
1. Nick Komar will compile the Loveland CBC and Tom Hall will compile the Fort
Collins CBC.
2. The Fort Collins CBC is set for December 18, 2010. Nick will set the date for the
Loveland CBC.

G. Writing Project Request – All:
1. Heman suggested a possible project for the CSU student would be to compile the history
of FCAS’ involvement in the Christmas Bird Count and/or the Birdathon. Karl said a
narrative account would be a good idea.
2. John said he would talk with the student and Heman indicated he might work with her.


A. Birdathon – Miller:
1. $2,535.15 has been received so far.

B. Mongolian Horse Adoption Follow-up – Miller:
1. Karl had been in touch with the family, who were in Mongolia, and indicated they
thanked FCAS and desired the first horse be called Sisi, the nickname of their daughter.
2. Scott suggested that a wind-related name might be good for a horse. John found such a
name, Rlung Rta, to call the second horse.
3. Discussion on whether to continue a relationship with Hustai National Park concluded
with Heman suggesting that, given the current state of FCAS finances, it might be
advisable to put things on hold for the time being.
4. Heman suggested that FCAS develop a procedure to address requests for funds from
other organizations.

C. Need Reprints – Harden, Thomas:
1. Membership Application – Cobble/Miller:
a. FCAS will have 1,200 copies of the Membership Application printed on 30%
recycled, Balsa-colored paper.
b. FCAS will accept bids for color and for black and white Membership cards.
2. “Birds of Larimer County, Colorado” – Harden:
a. Ron has a previous edition of the checklist from which he is making changes for the
updated checklist.

3. Membership Brochure – Draft Revision – Thomas:
a. The Membership Application card will take the place of a membership brochure.

D. Feral Cat Issue – Harden:
1. Scott read his re-wording of the TNR policy.
2. Joann asked that Scott send the text of his re-wording to the Board by email.
3. John will work on proper citations.
4. The vote on the issue will be by email.
5. Ron stated it is beneficial to pave the way on issues with words. Consequently, he
preferred his wording as it is a policy statement, not a paper. Thus, it is not preferable to
begin with a topic sentence.
6. The policy may appear on the FCAS website.

E. Nominating Committee – Miller:
1. Joann Thomas (Chair), Sue Kenney, and Bill Miller are the members of the Nominating
2. The Nominating Committee member’s names will be included in the October Ptarmigan.
3. Bill is willing to remain as Conservation chair.

F. Chapter Calendar – Miller:
1. Joann will meet with the canoe outfitter in January to brainstorm canoe issues.
2. Let Bill know if there are any additions to the chapter Calendar.

1. Heman suggested committee chairs submit their 2011 budget requests prior to the
prior to the October Board meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 9:02 P.M.




Home ] About FCAS ] Leadership ] Join FCAS! ] Activities ] Education ] Conservation ] Newsletter ] Local Birding ] Scholarship Fund ] Volunteer ] Information Sites ] Photo Gallery ] Contact Us ]